Well, it’s December and what does that make you think of? Yes, Christmas. We can’t put off thinking about it any longer.
What do you think of first when you think of Christmas? For most of us, most of the time it’s not the coming of Jesus into the world. Oh yes, we think of that all right, but first we think of
- buying presents
- getting presents
- getting the Christmas meal together
- decorating the house
- whose place will Christmas be at this year?
- will Uncle Fred drink too much Christmas cheer again?
- will Auntie Madge and Cousin Dot put aside their differences this year?
- oh, and did I say buying pressies?
Christmas isn’t always a time of perfect bliss. Come to think of it, it’s more often a time of irritation. We tend to have this script inside us that Christmas has to be flawless; when it isn’t, some of us tend to play the blame game, whether we blame ourselves or someone else.
That’s why we really need Advent.